Sunday, June 13, 2010

Proud to be an American

So I'm incredibly proud of Ismo, he is an official citizen of the United States!!!! Woohoo! He filled out all the paperwork, paid the "hefty fine" and studied for the exam and aced it pretty much on his own. In fact, I wasn't even really aware that he was so on top of it as I seemed to have been wrapped up in my own little juggling act of mom, school, and work. It's funny that all of this came about right around the time of all this Arizona Illegal Immigration stuff is going down too. While at the Swearing in/Oath ceremony, my dad had the biggest content look on his face, (as only my dad can) and it was great to see how proud of Ismo he was. My dad even got up and said a few words as there was an "open mic/testimony meeting" time during the ceremony. Clearly Karim was just as excited for his papa! As far as Ismael is aware he is permitted to have dual citizenship with Benin and the United States...I suppose this makes him Beninese-American...African-American is so general and after all he knows where his roots are. Let the opportunity come a-knockin'!

1 comment: